Friday 15 November 2013

Four months with Nook

It's been four months since I bought my Nook e-reader. Was it right choice? Well you will find after reading this article :).

A bit of story telling in the beginning show/hide.
Let's start with some background story. Why I bought e-reader in the first place? We have to go back, let's say before my eighteen birthday.  I barely read books that time and if I did it was just because school pushed me into, in other words no pleasure at all in reading books.) By the time I finished the school my eyes starting to open a little bit. Back then I was really stubborn knucklehead who thought that reading books is the worst possible choice how one should spend their time. Of course I was wrong ... a LOT.
There is a gap between my eighteen birthday a present, but I will not write about that now because it would be huge turnoff (for me writing it's quite hard, so I'm already sweating writing this:-).
Let's go back in July this year when I purchase my Nook for 29£. Why is 29£ bold? That's easy, I couldn't believe my eyes that e-reader that cheap is on the market (of course brand new). Luckily for me the largest book retailer Barnes & Noble started their promo action in UK. If I remember correctly the campaign was something like "let's push the education through reading books" bullshit, between rows I know that they didn't selling enough devices because someone in marketing department messed up and they need to raise selling in UK.

Four months was enough time to make review if I choose rightly or not.

Things I like about Nook Simple Touch 

  • The User Interface. It's easy and very intuitive.
  • Battery life. You can easily not paying attention to the Nook and he will switch off or put himself into hibernate mode which saves the battery a lot. 
  • Body. Rubber body is very nice and comfy in hands when you're reading, but that's not all it also protects from scratches and marks.
  • Books management. Putting new book inside your Nook it's very simple and user-friendly, all you need is USB cable which come with the Nook - no stupid DRM stuff like Kindle.
  • SD card. This option which let me root my Nook when simply need more functions.
  • Dictionary. I LOVE it! Very handy when reading books in English.
Things I don't like about Nook Simple Touch
  • Reading while charging. You can't, this is big pain in the ass if you're reading once in the while.
  • B&N library. It's horrible, can't imagine buying something from there. There is no option if you want to download a free book! Huge minus for B&N.
  • Disabled browser. In early versions of firmware there used to be web browser but, not any more. 
  • Reminder. Which pushing users to share what they reading on twitter.


With price 29£ when purchased (now 49£) Nook Simple Touch is ultimate e-reader with loads of functions and very friendly and intuitive user interface. Body wrapped with layer of rubber which make reading very comfortable and also provides protection from scratches. If you're geek (root option) or person that reads once in a while (user-friendly interface) this e-reader is the right choice (assuming you can still get it for 29£).

No comments:

Post a Comment